OPINION: Non-LGBTQ people can and should show their support for pride

oppridecelebration061422.jpg

It is June, which means it's also pride month. Since the first of June, Kirkwood and other areas in Bloomington have brought out pride flags and other festive decorations. 

People should celebrate pride month and show their support for the LGBTQ community, because it will help current and future generations feel more comfortable with who they are. The more people who get involved, the less number of people who are judging from the outside. Eventually being in the community won’t be seen as wrong, but as something normal. 

You can celebrate pride in all different ways. Some people go to pride parades, post their support on social media or hang pride flags outside of their house. Support for the community can come in any shape or form, and anyone can participate. Even taking the time out of your day to text your friends “happy pride month” can go a long way. 

I understand that pride is to celebrate the community and for them to show pride in who they are, but allies can also show support for their friends who are in the community. Allies can and should go to pride to support the community. 

It is important for allies to celebrate and show support for their LGBTQ friends and the community. It shows that people are accepting, which can ease those who are scared of expressing themselves in public. Celebrating pride in any way can support the community. 

When I first heard about pride parades in high school, I assumed they were only for people in the community. This isn’t necessarily true, but it's important you're there to offer your support as an ally and celebrate with them instead of not using your voice to speak out about important issues.  

If you don’t want to go to a pride parade, there are many different ways to express support. You can shop at LGBTQ businesses, or show your support on social media. As someone who uses social media pretty often, whenever I see a post about ways to be supportive during pride or links to LGBTQ organizations or businesses I try to repost them to spread the word to others who might not know.

Whether you are a part of the community or not, you can celebrate pride. If you do choose to celebrate pride, be respectful and supportive of the community. Buy from LGBTQ businesses, support your friends if they want to talk to you, or even donate to some LGBTQ organizations. There are so many ways you can be supportive and be a good ally. Showing your support can mean the world to some people.

Non-LGBTQ people are encouraged to participate in pride. Pride is a way for those in the community to feel more comfortable in their own skin. Support goes a long way, and it can make pride even more enjoyable.  

Olivia Franklin (she/her) is a senior studying journalism with a minor in political science. She is a member of the swim club at IU and the Women in Media organization.