arts community events music

Tango with Winnie to bring live music, events to Bloomington this week

entwinnie051122.jpg

Tango with Winnie will bring live music and performances to the Bloomington community from May 11 until May 17. Pianist Winnie Cheung and all-female group Yaz Trio will conduct tango outreach events at multiple venues across Bloomington. 

Tango with Winnie and Yaz Trio performed from 9 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. on May 11 at Bloomington North High School. 

Tango with Winnie will conduct a performance for the Ellettsville Boys and Girls Club from 4 to 5 p.m. on May 11 and May 12, at the FAR Center for Contemporary Arts. 

Tango with Winnie will participate in Milonga at the FAR from 7 p.m. to midnight on May 13 at The FAR Center for Contemporary Arts. Tango with Winnie and Yaz Trio, along with bands Tamango and Bandoneon Massacre, will play live music. Patrons can purchase food from Pili’s Party Taco Food Truck. 

There will be another Tango with Winnie and Yaz Trio performance from 8:30 a.m. to noon. on May 14 at the Woolery Farmers Market.  

There will be a public rehearsal at 1:30 p.m. and performance at 3 p.m. on May 15, at Kirkwood Plaza outside of Monroe County Public Library. Instrumentalists ages 8-18 of all levels are welcome to sign up to learn and play music before the 3 p.m. performance.

Tango with Winnie and Yaz Trio will perform at a Tango Cookout 6 p.m. May 16 at The Loftmans & Cusacks. There will be live music along with food and beverages for purchase. There will be a final performance from 7 to 8 p.m. May 17 at Meadowoods Retirement Community.

A full schedule and more information can be found on the Tango with Winnie website

Inspired by tango’s power to include everyone, Cheung started Tango With Winnie to bring live tango dance and music to both classic and unconventional tango corners across the world, according to Cheung’s website.

Cheung has played more than 300 tango events in the United States, Canada, Asia, Argentina and Antarctica. She conducts these outreach events in K-12 schools, universities, retirement communities, cross-cultural festivals among others, according to the website.