sports golf

Indiana women’s golf hires Brian May as new head coach

spiuwgbrief052522.jpg

Indiana women’s golf announced Brian May as its fifth head coach in program history on Tuesday. May spent the past eight years as an assistant coach for the University of Kentucky women’s golf program.

Indiana’s head coaching vacancy opened in December, when then-head coach Clint Wallman resigned. Wallman was in the midst of his 18th season as Indiana’s coach. 

While a national search was being conducted for the next hire, then-assistant coach Emily Kuhfeld was named interim head coach for the remainder of the 2021-2022 season.

May started his career as the assistant golf professional at Frankfort Country Club in 2011, holding the position for two years. He was promoted to head golf professional, serving two more years. 

May joined Kentucky’s staff in the 2014-2015 season and the team qualified for NCAA Regionals that spring. In his eight seasons as assistant coach, Kentucky had four NCAA postseason appearances.

"I first want to thank Scott Dolson, Jeremy Gray and Indiana University for this opportunity to be the next women's golf coach at IU," May said in an IU Athletics press release. “This program has a rich history in the Big Ten and I am looking forward to bringing that Championship Culture back to Bloomington.”