sports tennis

Indiana women's tennis’ season comes to an end in Big Ten Tournament

spiuwten042822.jpeg

Indiana women's tennis took on No. 60 Maryland in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on Thursday and suffered a quick end to its postseason with a 4-0 loss. The matchup marks the second time the Hoosiers met the Terrapins this season, with the previous matchup coming back on April 15. 

Similar to the first meeting, Indiana was unable to record a single point and was swept 4-0 for the second time this season by Maryland. The Hoosiers closed out their season with a 10-15 overall record and 11th-place finish in the Big Ten standings. 

Thursday’s match shifted toward Maryland’s favor from the beginning. The Terrapins earned the doubles point in quick fashion, winning two straight doubles matches to start the tournament. Maryland’s pairing of sophomore Minorka Miranda and graduate student Marta Perez Mur won the first doubles match by a score of 6-2, taking down Indiana juniors Mila Mejic and Alexandra Staiculescu. 

The third doubles match was ruled as unfinished since Maryland was quick to secure the doubles point. 

In the singles rounds, Maryland earned its first point through the No. 6 singles match. Junior Lexi Kubas was forced to retire for an unknown reason, giving the Terrapins even more momentum. The Hoosiers struggled to rebound after that, losing the No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches that followed. 

Freshman Lara Schneider, sophomore Laura Masic and junior Rose Hu were all in the middle of their singles matches when Maryland officially clinched the match and a berth into the third round. All of their matches were ruled as unfinished.

Despite the early postseason exit, Indiana improved on last season’s 1-16 record, when it faced only Big Ten opponents. The Hoosiers finished 3-8 in Big Ten play.