sports swimming & diving

Indiana swimmers place second, fourth in USA Swimming 10K National Championships

spiusdrecap040322.jpg

Indiana swim and dive’s freshman Mariah Denigan took second place in the 10K National Championships at the USA Swimming Open Water Nationals in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, over the weekend.

“This is everything that I’ve dreamed of,” Denigan said about potentially representing the U.S. on the international stage in a press release from USA Swimming.

Denigan’s success over the weekend was a continuation of her accomplished first season at Indiana, where she marked similar times to her senior counterparts. She didn’t compete in the Big Ten Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships due to a back injury. 

“I just got back from a back injury, I was out of the water before (the) Big 10’s,” Denigan said in an interview with USA Swimming. “I’m just so happy that I could build back up and get back here and get my hand on the wall second.” 

Related: [No. 4 Indiana men’s swim and dive closes season with fifth-place finish at NCAA Championships]

Indiana junior Michael Brinegar also took fourth place in the men’s 10K National. Senior Maggie Wallace was scratched from the women’s 10K National.

More information and details about the 2022 U.S. Open Water National Team and the 2022 FINA Open Water World Championships U.S. team can be found at the USA Swimming website