Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Indiana swimmers place second, fourth in USA Swimming 10K National Championships

<p>Then-freshman Michael Brinegar swims the 1650-yard freestyle Nov. 17, 2018, at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. Freshman Mariah Denigan came in second place in the 10K at the USA Swimming Open Water Nationals over the weekend.<br/></p>

Then-freshman Michael Brinegar swims the 1650-yard freestyle Nov. 17, 2018, at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. Freshman Mariah Denigan came in second place in the 10K at the USA Swimming Open Water Nationals over the weekend.

Indiana swim and dive’s freshman Mariah Denigan took second place in the 10K National Championships at the USA Swimming Open Water Nationals in Fort Myers Beach, Florida, over the weekend.

“This is everything that I’ve dreamed of,” Denigan said about potentially representing the U.S. on the international stage in a press release from USA Swimming.

Denigan’s success over the weekend was a continuation of her accomplished first season at Indiana, where she marked similar times to her senior counterparts. She didn’t compete in the Big Ten Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships due to a back injury. 

“I just got back from a back injury, I was out of the water before (the) Big 10’s,” Denigan said in an interview with USA Swimming. “I’m just so happy that I could build back up and get back here and get my hand on the wall second.” 

Related: [No. 4 Indiana men’s swim and dive closes season with fifth-place finish at NCAA Championships]

Indiana junior Michael Brinegar also took fourth place in the men’s 10K National. Senior Maggie Wallace was scratched from the women’s 10K National.

More information and details about the 2022 U.S. Open Water National Team and the 2022 FINA Open Water World Championships U.S. team can be found at the USA Swimming website

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.