UPDATE: Indiana men’s basketball guard Xavier Johnson arrested on resisting law enforcement charges

spiubbbrief040322.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball senior guard Xavier Johnson was arrested Sunday morning, per an original report by IndyStar reporter Dustin Dopirak. Johnson was charged with resisting law enforcement and reckless driving, according to Monroe County Correctional Center records.

According to the report, Johnson was released from Monroe County Jail at 10:32 a.m. on $2,000 surety, $500 cash bond.

“Indiana University and the men’s basketball program are aware of the charges involving Xavier Johnson,” a team statement said. “IU Athletics will continue to gather facts, cooperate with and monitor the legal process, and take further action as the evolving situation warrants.”

Johnson, who averaged 12.1 points per game in his first season with the Hoosiers and led the team with 5.1 assists per game, still has one year of eligibility remaining.

An incident report revealed that at around 3 a.m. Sunday, a Monroe County sheriff’s deputy chased a Dodge Charger going 90 miles per hour down North Walnut Street in Bloomington, but the driver refused to stop, per a report by WISH-TV’s Ashley Fowler. Once stopped, the officer saw Johnson, the driver, switch seats with a man identified as Lee Marrioti.

Marrioti was charged with false informing, and both he and Johnson were released later Sunday morning. Senior guard Parker Stewart was also one of the passengers in the vehicle during the pursuit, but was not charged.