sports baseball

Indiana baseball ends road trip with midweek action against non-conference opponents

spiubasepreview041922.jpg

Indiana is set to face off against two non-conference opponents this week. After losing all three games in a road series against Rutgers this past weekend, the Hoosiers will take on Miami University (Ohio) on Tuesday and the University of Cincinnati on Wednesday. 

Indiana already faced both teams earlier this season. The Hoosiers first played Miami back on March 1 in a 15-2 win. Their game against the Redhawks was an opening day matchup that saw a total of 1,984 fans make their way to Bart Kaufman Stadium in Bloomington. 

The 15 runs Indiana scored to start the 2022 season still stands as the second-most runs the Hoosiers have scored in a single game this year. 

Miami enters Tuesday's matchup with a 14-21 record on the season. Junior pitcher John-Biagio Modugno will get the start on the mound for Indiana as the team looks to snap a three-game losing streak and earn its 14th win of the season. First pitch is set for 5 p.m. at Hayden Park in Oxford, Ohio. 

Indiana also has experience with Cincinnati after a matchup on March 8. The Hoosiers earned their first shutout win of the season after closing out the Bearcats down the stretch with a 7-0 win. In the win, the Hoosiers sent five different pitchers to the mound and limited the Bearcats to just two hits on the day. 

The Bearcats enter Wednesday's game with a record of 16-18. The Bearcats have already played seven games against Big Ten opponents this season after taking on Ohio State, Northwestern and Michigan State earlier in their schedule. 

Freshman starting pitcher Luke Hayden earned his first career start against Miami and his first career shutout win against Cincinnati while starting on the mound for Indiana in both games. He pitched a combined five innings and only gave up one hit in each game. 

Game two against Cincinnati will start at 6 p.m. Wednesday. The two midweek games mark the end of a 10-game road trip for Indiana before the team returns to Bloomington for a three-game series against Nebraska this weekend.