Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Bloomington teenager arrested after threatening school shooting on Snapchat

<p></p>

Bloomington Police Department officers were called to Bloomington High School South on March 30 in response to a Snapchat video of a 17-year-old boy waving a handgun and threatening a school shooting, according to the Herald Times.

The suspect is not a student in the Monroe County Community School Corporation district, according to a MCCSC official. 

A sheriff’s deputy and BPD officer responded to a call from the school at 1:53 p.m. A school resource officer learned about the video from students who received it via social media, according to a police report.

According to the Herald Times, it was determined the suspect lived within city limits, and BPD officers went to the teenager’s home and arrested him at 3:35 p.m. Wednesday. Officers found the teen at home with his mother, confiscated a handgun and took him into custody. 

BPD Capt. Ryan Pedigo said a report filed in the case didn’t say if the gun was loaded or if any ammunition was found at the apartment.

The 17-year-old was charged with intimidation with a deadly weapon in juvenile court and was transported to the Southwest Indiana Regional Youth Village, according to the article. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.