Abra K. Bush is set to become the new dean of the Jacobs School of Music

<p>Students sitting outside of the Jacobs East Studio Building are pictured. Abra K. Bush will become the new dean of the Jacobs School of Music beginning July 1.</p>

Students sitting outside of the Jacobs East Studio Building are pictured. Abra K. Bush will become the new dean of the Jacobs School of Music beginning July 1.

Abra K. Bush will become the new dean of the Jacobs School of Music beginning July 1,  pending approval from the IU Board of Trustees, according to an announcement from the Jacobs School. She will be the first woman to lead the school and is one of very few women to lead prominent music schools in the country, according to the announcement.

Bush is currently the senior associate dean of Institute Studies at the Johns Hopkins Peabody Institute, one of the oldest conservatories in the United States. During her tenure there, Bush was responsible for the curriculum and oversaw departments such as faculty affairs, academic affairs, and the school’s music library, according to her staff profile.

Before joining the Peabody Institute, Bush was the first female director of the Music Division at the Boston Conservatory and was a professional opera singer, according to the announcement.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.