arts podcast

New podcast and show featuring Midwestern artists debuts on WFIU

entwfiupodcast011122.jpg

WFIU debuted a new arts and culture podcast and show, “Inner States,” on Jan. 9.

“Inner States” is an hour-long show airing every Sunday at noon on Indiana University’s radio station, WFIU. It is available for audiences in a podcast format after its initial airing on the WFIU website.

“Inner States” encourages Midwestern artists to share their inspirations and stories with listeners. It also draws attention to where these artists are going with their work, as well as in life.

Adjunct Instructor Alex Chambers doubles as the sole host and producer of this show. He said he wants his guests to share not only their ideas, but also their cultures and backgrounds that led them to where they are.

Chambers said he wanted to focus on creating something that would feel relevant to the show’s listeners, who are mainly Midwesterners.

“There’s just a lot of art and culture and life going on in southern Indiana, in the region and in the states that surround us that doesn’t get as much coverage as it should,” Chambers said.

Related: [Indiana college students given the chance to compete for $5000]

Chambers calls attention to a different artist on each episode of his show. Chambers said he tries to find artists that would not typically be featured and shine a light on the work they do.

The first episode of the show featured a conversation with Diane Kondrat, an actor who spends a majority of her time in Midwestern cities. In future episodes, Chambers plans to speak with creators such as Alicia Kozma, director of IU Cinema, and journalist Monroe Anderson.

Chambers said he is also trying to redefine the term “art” with his show.

“I like finding people who are doing things that may or may not be considered art,” Chambers said.

Chambers said he hopes to one day feature a hairdresser and a power line worker on his podcast. He believes that some people may be so passionate about their work that they may consider it art, even when society typically may not.

Chambers says that the best moments are often when he is talking to a guest and can hear the emotion in their voice.

“The thing I love most about good radio,” Chambers said, “is when you hear someone being human somehow.”