Swastika seen near 6th and Lincoln, Chabad reacts with candle lighting

<p>Chabad at IU, a Jewish student organization, discovered a swastika Saturday that was painted onto a building near Sixth and Lincoln streets. The hate symbol has since been painted over as of Sunday.</p>

Chabad at IU, a Jewish student organization, discovered a swastika Saturday that was painted onto a building near Sixth and Lincoln streets. The hate symbol has since been painted over as of Sunday.

A swastika was painted onto a building near Sixth and Lincoln Streets. Chabad at IU, a Jewish student organization, posted photos and videos of the incident on their Instagram story Saturday evening. 

The swastika is denoted as a hate symbol by the Anti-Defamation League. 

This off-campus incident coincides with Hanukkah, a Jewish holiday. Some notable Jewish leaders interpret Hanukkah as a celebration of religious freedom. After discovering the symbol off campus, Chabad leaders responded by lighting the traditional Hanukkah candles in front of the swastika Saturday evening. 

“It is not a place of hate,” Rabbi Levi Cunin said during the candle lighting in a video on their Instagram story. “Campus is a place of love. We will therefore be spreading love.” 

A photo posted to Chabad’s Instagram story shows individuals painting over the swastika with white paint Saturday evening. 

An incident involving a painted swastika near the area in question was reported to the Bloomington Police Department, BPD Captain Ryan Pedigo said in an email.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.