coronavirus

IU-Bloomington reports 89 COVID-19 cases last week, second highest in fall semester

COVID Filler NEW.png

IU-Bloomington reported 89 positive COVID-19 cases for the week of Nov. 25 to Dec. 1, according to IU’s COVID-19 dashboard update Friday. The number includes 70 student cases and 19 faculty and staff cases.

The case count is the second highest since the fall semester began and the highest since the week of Sept. 10.

The dashboard reports 94.6% of people on the Bloomington campus have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, same as the previous two weeks. As of Thursday, 95% of all students and 93.3% of faculty and staff are partially or fully vaccinated.

The COVID-19 vaccination is required for all IU students, faculty and staff, unless they have a medical or religious exemption or are enrolled in a 100% online program, according to IU's COVID-19 policy. Individuals can report their vaccination status or request an exemption using IU’s online vaccine reporting form.

IU has removed the ethical exemption as an acceptable exemption from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine in November.

Individuals wanting to schedule a vaccination or booster shot appointment can visit the Indiana State Department of Health website for an in-state vaccination site or visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website to search for sites across the United States.

RELATED: IU students urged to get COVID-19 boosters

The CDC expanded the eligibility of the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech booster shots Nov. 19 to all adults 18 or older who have received two doses of either vaccine at least six months ago.

In response to the recent emergence of the omicron coronavirus variant, the CDC strengthened its recommendation on booster shots, saying all U.S. adults should receive a booster. The previous recommendation only strongly encouraged high-risk populations to receive a booster shot.