Black Voices

Black Voices: Keeping Schuyler Bradley’s memory alive on the anniversary of his death

bvbradley111121.jpg

It’s been a year since IU student Schuyler Bradley died as a result of gun violence. It’s important we keep his memory alive.

Schuyler had a big heart and touched a lot of people. He shared special bonds with his friends, mother and siblings, especially his older brother. 

“We went through life together,” Schuyler’s older brother Ghiche Bradley said.

Schuyler was a son, brother and friend who was most known as a protector. Schuyler always made sure to protect his family and friends.

Ghiche said one story resonated with him from when his little brother stood up against a kid on the bus who attempted to talk badly about their mom. Ghiche tried to get the kid to settle down but was unsuccessful. However, Schuyler immediately jumped to his mother’s defense and the other kid quickly stopped talking.

“I’m just thinking, like, why didn’t he stop talking when I was talking to him?” Ghiche said.

In another story, Ghiche said he and Schuyler forgot about a pizza they left in the oven while playing video games. When they realized how badly the pizza was burnt, they had to hide the evidence, so they decided to throw the pizza over their fence.

“He’s the nicest kid, but at the same time he’d go fight for you if you were one of his friends,” Schuyler’s fraternity brother Conner Jones said.

Schuyler was a very lovable person, easy to get along with and talk to, Conner said. 

“I just met this kid, so it was kind of funny,” Conner said. “Within the first half-hour of us talking, we started talking about deeper things, things that I’ve never really get to talk about with some of the friends that I have now.”

Schuyler’s mother Daphne Groff detailed one of the best and most memorable experiences she had with Schuyler before his passing. 

Daphne is a single mother and said she never could really go on family vacations with her kids. 

On this particular vacation, they traveled to the Dominican Republic for a week. She enjoyed a few days alone with her son, spending quality time together and having fun.

“He was a really good kid,” Daphne said. “He tried his best to follow the rules and respect his parents.”

It’s essential his life isn’t forgotten. He was part of a community here on campus. It’s everyone’s duty to make sure that not only Schuyler but all those who were lost are remembered.

Schuyler is gone but never forgotten. Let’s continue to uplift and send light to his family.