IU report finds 22 campus sexual assaults last year, an increase from 19 in 2019

cacrimereport100321.jpg

Editor's Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence.

A total of 22 sexual assault cases were reported on the IU-Bloomington campus last year, according to an IU report. The number increased from 19 in 2019 and 13 in 2018.

According to the 2020 IU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report released Friday, 15 of the sexual assault cases took place in on-campus housing. An additional three non-campus sexual assault cases were reported in 2020, two higher than 2019.

Of all offenses, sexual assault and fondling were the only two categories experiencing increases of reported cases on the Bloomington campus compared to 2019. Fondling cases rose from five cases in 2019 to seven last year.

According to the IU Police Department crime log, 13 sexual assault cases and nine sexual batteries have been reported since the fall semester began Aug. 19.

The IUPD recently changed its policy to not name specific locations of reported on-campus sexual assaults in greek houses and dorms to protect student privacy, according to IU NewsNet. Locations of reported sexual assaults and sexual batteries in on-campus housing are instead listed as “On campus residential” on the IUPD crime log.

Arrests for drug or liquor law violations plummeted in 2020. Arrests for drug law violations dropped 42% from 150 in 2019 to 87 in 2020. Arrests for liquor law violations also dropped 56% from 145 to 64 over the same period.