sports field hockey

Ohio State, Kent State offer resume building opportunities to Indiana field hockey

spiufhpreview100621-2.jpg

Indiana field hockey will play two more top-ranked teams in No. 16 Ohio State and No. 24 Kent State University this weekend in Ohio.

The Hoosiers come into the weekend on a two-game losing skid coming at the hands of the Nittany Lions and the Scarlet Knights.

The game against Rutgers went to double overtime, before Rutgers shut the door on Indiana with a goal 30 seconds left in the period. 

“We controlled the tempo better. We were composed. We did a better job in our press, so it was disappointing to not get that result,” Bashore said.

The loss against Rutgers marked the second two-game losing streak for the Hoosiers of the season. Despite the results of the last couple of matches, Indiana is looking forward to getting better day after day.

Sophomore midfielder Anna Gwiazdzinski said the team is pleased with their performance no matter the outcome.

“As a team, we felt we played really well and the score didn’t reflect how we played, so I don’t think we are going into this week down on ourselves,” Gwiazdzinski said.

Up first for Indiana is another Big Ten foe, Ohio State. Ohio State comes into the contest with an overall record of 6-4, including 1-1 in Big Ten play. 

The two teams met twice last year, and both times the Buckeyes won by more than five goals.

One bright spot this season for the Hoosiers has been their defense. The Hoosiers have given  up fewer than two goals in six games. Bashore believes that if her team can get back to the basics this week, they can get back in the winning column.

“It's about our mentality and having the discipline to be the team we know we can be,” Bashore said.

After the Ohio State game, Indiana takes on a quality Kent State squad. 

The Flashes come into Sunday's games with a 6-4 record, with their most recent win coming in dominant fashion with a 5-0 win over Bellarmine University. 

The Kent State team is tied for 12th in the country in saves per game, so it will be imperative for the Indiana team that has earned a total of 82 penalty corners to take advantage of the opportunities given to them.

With two more ranked opponents this week, the Hoosiers are ready to get to playing winning ball. Gwiazdzinski said it's all about being united through whatever adversity comes their way.

“Sticking true to ourselves and sticking together through thick and thin, we’ll be rewarded at some point,” Gwiazdzinski said.