I have always been a huge Halloween fan. My family used to do matching costumes and throw a big party every year. The love for Halloween has stayed with me and loving Halloween comes with loving the music for the holiday.
Here is my opinion of the top ten Halloween songs or songs with Halloween themes. I included only songs with lyrics, because even though there are some spooky movies with iconic soundtracks, that’s not what I gravitate toward. These songs are sure to get you dancing like that viral pumpkin mask guy.
10. “I Want Candy” — I put this as number 10 because I’m not really sure if this is a Halloween song, but I love candy. That’s the best reason for the holiday, and a song about that is a good bet on a Halloween playlist.
9. “Werewolves of London” — I know some people might also not consider this a Halloween song, but it’s just a cool song. I also love the little howl parts in it.
8. “Thriller” — A really good song, but it’s maybe overplayed? The talking part of this song hits like nothing else when everyone is screaming it together, so it gets points there.
7. “Purple People Eater” — I’m not sure if everyone considers this a Halloween song, but if it’s not that, what else is it? I listened to this during my elementary school Halloween class parties, and it’s just a cute song.
6. “This is Halloween” — An iconic song. If this is not on repeat at your Halloween party, you’re wrong. My hot take is that I’m not the biggest fan of this movie, so it just loses points there.
5. Time Warp — I always watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show around this time of year, so I think it counts. I’d listen to this song anytime because it’s really good to dance to and easy to scream along with. This song gets bonus points because you'll have that one friend try to sing the really high part and it’s funny to laugh at them when they do it (It’s me. I am the friend).
4. “Somebody’s Watching Me” — This song has spooky lyrics, so I’ve decided it counts as Halloween music. It just has some super iconic verses like, “When I’m in the shower I’m afraid to wash my hair/’Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there.” Haven’t we all felt that at one point?
3. “Ghostbusters” — I love this song because I love this movie. It’s so catchy. Everyone knows the words and this song just brings the energy up!
2. “Spooky Scary Skeletons” — I love this song. Everything about this song is so good: the beat, the lyrics, the TikTok dances. I’d go so far as to say I even like some of the remixes that have been made for this song, though nothing is better than the original.
1. “Monster Mash” — This song just transcends. It’s THE quintessential Halloween song, and no spooky season is complete without it.