food

COLUMN: Bud Light Seltzer flavors from “Fall Flannel” pack true to taste — for better or worse

entbudlight092921.jpeg

A few weeks ago, I wrote a column predicting fall and winter Truly flavors, one being the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte. 

While I was incorrect about the brand, Bud Light Seltzer soon after released a Pumpkin Spice Seltzer along with three other flavors in a limited-time fall variety pack called “Fall Flannel.”

Since I predicted the Pumpkin Spice flavor, I feel that it is my honor — and duty — to taste the pack and rate it for you. It’s not a cheap purchase, retailing at about $14.99 for a pack of twelve, so this is also a public service before you possibly buy something you’re going to hate. 

Apple Crisp

In my mind, this was bound to be the most “traditional” type. I expected it to be similar to an Angry Orchard or Redds Apple Ale flavoring. However, the flavor scientists must have leaned more toward the “crisp” part of the name, because it had a very cinnamon-forward taste and was very, very sweet. 

I’ve never had an apple crisp, which is a type of dessert with baked apples rolled in brown sugar and oats, so I cannot tell you if it actually tastes like that. But I know it tastes more dessert-y and less apple-y. If you’re looking for a refreshing type of drink, this is not it. 

Maple Pear 

This is the one I was the second-least dubious about. I love pear so I was hoping it would lean more toward the pear flavor than the maple. I don’t mind maple, but I’ve never fantasized about drinking maple syrup. 

This one has a less overwhelming flavor than the apple crisp and the toasted marshmallow. It starts off more light and refreshing, though I can’t immediately identify the taste as pear. The maple comes almost as an aftertaste, but once it hit, I couldn’t get another sip where I could even taste the pear. I’d say this drink whispers pear and screams maple, but I would maybe drink it again.

Toasted Marshmallow 

I wasn’t sure what to expect of this one because what does a toasted marshmallow taste like? In my mind, it just tastes “sweet.” Once I drank it, I was like “yup, that’s marshmallow,” but not regular marshmallows — instead the artificial marshmallow fluff you can buy in that jar. I feel very neutral about this one. I can’t knock it because the flavor tastes exactly like what they said, and I’m just the fool drinking them. 

Pumpkin Spice

I realize that this is maybe not supposed to taste like pumpkin spice latte. So, I was expecting the flavor of that drink, sans the coffee taste. I actually think I liked this one? It tastes the least sickly-sweet out of all of them, but doesn’t overwhelm with a cinnamon flavor. 

You just get some of the spice you expect in a pumpkin pie filling and a hint of sweet pumpkin. I think this is the one I would reach for if I purchased the pack again, which is actually very surprising to me since I normally gravitate toward fruity drinks and was expecting to like the maple pear or apple crisp the most. 

I’d say these are a fun novelty to purchase with friends and try once. Just be warned, the sensation of drinking a cold, carbonated version of flavors you’ve only tasted warm is just confusing for the brain. I also applaud Bud Light Seltzer for their creativity. These are silly, but they actually managed to capture the flavors correctly.