Fully vaccinated Americans likely eligible for COVID-19 booster shot in September

COVID Filler

Fully vaccinated Americans who received two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines will likely be eligible for a third booster shot beginning the week of Sept. 20 and starting eight months after their second dose.

People who received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will likely need a booster, but health officials are waiting on more data, according to a joint statement from public health and medical experts from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Health care providers, nursing home residents and other seniors will likely be the first to get the booster, according to the statement.

Data indicates protection against COVID-19 decreases over time and the process is accelerated by the delta variant, according to the statement.

“Based on our latest assessment, the current protection against severe disease, hospitalization, and death could diminish in the months ahead, especially among those who are at higher risk or were vaccinated during the earlier phases of the vaccination rollout,” the statement said.

The Biden administration said approval of the booster shot depends on a Food and Drug Administration ruling, which is expected in the next few weeks, according to The New York Times.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that people who are moderately or severely immunocompromised receive a third dose of the mRNA vaccine they previously received, according to a Monroe County Health Department press release.

New CDC studies show immunocompromised individuals may have lower levels of protection from the COVID-19 vaccine, possibly increasing the risk of breakthrough infection, according to the release.

A doctor’s order is not required to get the third dose, but individuals can contact their doctor to determine if a third dose is appropriate, according to the release.