Kappa Kappa Gamma on disciplinary probation until 2023 after IDS hazing investigation

cakkg071321.jpg

Kappa Kappa Gamma was placed on disciplinary probation until 2023 after an IDS investigation into allegations of hazing. 

The chapter was placed on probation June 10, 2021, for hazing, alcohol, endangering others, sexual harassment, lewd and indecent conduct, physical abuse and failure to comply with Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life policies, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status. Kappa will also face social event restrictions through October 2021.  

IU and Kappa Kappa Gamma’s National Headquarters put the Delta chapter on cease and desist in March after an IDS investigation detailed a hazing ritual on Big Little Night. 

Langdan Willoughby, 19, alleged that her 2020 pledge class was hazed by older sisters last year. Her story sparked national headlines: she said pledges were taken to a dark basement and told they must choose between doing a line of cocaine or performing oral sex on fraternity men. The women didn’t have to follow through with the game in the end, she said. Dr. Susan Lipkins, a psychologist and hazing expert described these events as hazing. 

IU defines hazing as “any conduct that subjects another person, whether physically, mentally, emotionally, or psychologically, to anything that may endanger, abuse, degrade, or intimidate the person as a condition of association with a group or organization, regardless of the person’s consent or lack of consent.”