IU adds ethical exemption to COVID-19 vaccine mandate

IU added an ethical exemption to the list of its COVID-19 vaccine mandate exemptions July 19.

IU added an ethical exemption to the list of exemptions for its COVID-19 vaccine mandate policy, according to IU’s website

The ethical exemption was added July 19 to bring the COVID-19 vaccine mandate in line with past IU vaccine mandates, such as last year’s flu vaccine mandate, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email. 

“We encourage all of our students, faculty, and staff to report their vaccination or request an exemption before the beginning of the Fall Semester,” Carney said. 

Carney added that while the university is weeks away from knowing final vaccination rates ahead of the Fall 2021 semester, rates are approaching 85% of all students, staff and faculty who have received at least one dose. 

“This is an exceptionally high rate of immunization, and we’re working to increase it even further,” Carney said.

Other exemptions to IU’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate include medical exemptions requiring documentation showing an allergy to a COVID-19 vaccine or any components in the vaccine, religious exemptions, medical deferrals and an online program exemption for students in a 100% online program, which doesn’t count students taking solely online courses.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments