IU Vice Presidents John Sejdinaj and John Whelan to step down

<p>Showalter Fountain on June 14. Vice President John Sejdinaj and Vice President John Whelan are leaving IU August.</p>

Showalter Fountain on June 14. Vice President John Sejdinaj and Vice President John Whelan are leaving IU August.

IU Vice President and Chief Financial Officer John Sejdinaj will retire from IU at the end of August, according to a Tuesday press release from the university. IU’s first vice president for human resources, John Whelan, is stepping down to join Yale University on Aug. 1.

Sejdinaj was IU’s top fiscal officer and has been responsible for balancing IU’s operating and capital budgets, planning for changes in revenue, estimating enrollments, containing costs and managing the institution’s level of risk. He was named 2019 CFO of the Year by the Indianapolis Business Journal.

At last week's Board of Trustees meeting, President Michael McRobbie presented Sejdinaj with the President’s Medal for Excellence, the highest honor an IU president can bestow, according to the release.

Whelan joined IU in 2014 as the chief human resources officer and became the first vice president for IU human resources in 2018, according to the release. The university is one of Indiana’s largest employers, overseeing more than 21,000 employees across the state.

Whelan guided the development and implementation of HR2020, IU’s first human resources strategic plan, according to the release. The plan systematically addressed and improved broad issues at IU, including workplace satisfaction, health and wellness, parental leave and employee diversity equity and inclusion, according to the release.

IU will announce interim replacements for both positions at a later date, according to the university.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments