IU masking and physical distancing requirements mostly lifted for fall 2021 semester

camasks060121

Most COVID-19 restrictions regarding masks and physical distancing on IU’s campus are gone for the fall 2021 semester, according to a press release from the university. 

IU released a guide on health and safety Tuesday about how IU will function from Aug. 1 to Dec. 31 during its in-person semester.

For those who are fully vaccinated, wearing a mask on campus will be optional. Physical distancing won’t be required in any campus facilities. Classes will be held in person in regular classroom settings and will return to pre-pandemic capacity. Cafeterias, dining halls, fitness centers and public transportation may also return to pre-pandemic capacity, according to recommendations from IU’s Restart Committee. 

Cleaning and disinfecting of public spaces and high-touch surfaces will continue, according to the release.

Events with more than 250 people in attendance will go through a review process and the report recommends large events be held outdoors. For large indoor events with non-IU attendees, everyone will be required to wear a mask.

Students, faculty and staff who are fully vaccinated will not be subject to mitigation testing but may be asked to participate in surveillance testing to monitor for outbreaks. According to the release, surveillance testing will be at lower levels than last year’s mitigation testing.

Symptomatic testing and voluntary asymptomatic testing will still be available.

If fully vaccinated, individuals won’t have to quarantine if contact traced. However, anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 will need to isolate for ten days or until symptoms improve and they are fever-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer.

Those who are exempt from the vaccine or those who are not fully vaccinated will have to wear a mask on campus and will have to participate in mitigation testing, according to the release. If a student living on campus is not fully vaccinated or exempt, they will be tested on arrival.

Vaccinated individuals will be guaranteed a vaccinated roommate, according to the release. During move-in, visitors will be required to wear a mask.

According to recommendations from IU’s Restart Committee, exemptions will include, religious exemptions, medical exemptions with documentation from a provider, medical deferrals, such active pregnancy or breastfeeding if a provider requests an exemption, immunocompromised patients and those who are enrolled in online-only programs and are not located in Indiana. Individuals can file for an exemption using an online form.

Those receiving the vaccine are no longer required to upload documentation, such as with a vaccination card. This comes days after Attorney General Todd Rokita’s non-binding opinion that said IU’s requirement to show documentation of a vaccine violated state law. 

Special incentives will be offered to those deciding to upload documentation, according to the release. Details on the incentives will be announced later this week.