It’s been 10 years since Lauren Spierer’s disappearance

A picture of missing IU student Lauren Spierer sit next to a poem dedicated to the search for her at a prayer and support event in 2011. Thursday marked 10 years since Spierer's disappearance.

Today is the 10th anniversary of Lauren Spierer’s disappearance on June 3, 2011.

Spierier’s mother, Charlene Spierer, posted an update this morning on the Facebook page Official Lauren Spierer Updates from Her Family.

“Shocking that someone so loved could vanish without a trace but entirely possible,” Charlene Spierer wrote in the Facebook post. “The space that once held hopes and dreams for Lauren will never heal.”

Spierer was a 20-year-old sophomore studying fashion merchandising at IU. She was last seen at 4:30 a.m. June 3, 2011, walking south on College Avenue from 11th Street, according to the Bloomington Police Department.

The Bloomington Police Department tweeted a flyer of Lauren Spierer yesterday and asked the community and the media to share Spierer’s story. 

Spierer’s case is still active and the Bloomington Police Department is continuing to investigate Spierer’s disappearance, Chief Michael Diekhoff said in a video statement on the department’s Facebook page. 

“There has always been something to follow up on,” Diekhoff said in the video. “In the last three to four years, investigators have executed at least 10 search warrants and received approximately 800 tips.”

The police have received thousands of tips in the past ten years, but no one has ever been named a suspect in the case, according to IndyStar. 

According to findlauren.com, Spierer’s family asks that anyone with information contact the Bloomington Police Department at 812-339-4477, the Indiana University Police Department at 812-855-4111, Private Investigator Michael Ciravolo, or send an anonymous tip to the P.O. Box 1226 Bloomington, IN 47402. 

Click here to view past IDS coverage of Lauren Spierer.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments