Annual drinking water report finds Bloomington drinking water is safe

The City of Bloomington Utilities published their annual drinking water quality report which found Bloomington drinking water to be free of 65 contaminants, according to a press release Tuesday.

The report found 12 contaminants in Bloomington’s drinking water, including disinfectant byproducts, lead and copper which were all within the Environmental Protection Agency’s allowable levels.

The source of Bloomington’s drinking water is surface water from Monroe Reservoir, which is nine miles southeast of Bloomington, according to the report.

The presence of contaminants in drinking water doesn’t necessarily mean the water poses a health risk, according to the report. For more information about contaminants, people can contact the EPA’s Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 800-426-4791.

The EPA requires community water systems to deliver a drinking water quality report annually to their customers to provide information about local drinking water quality, data from tests and contact information with any questions or concerns, according to the release.

The CBU’s Water Quality team can be reached at wq@bloomington.in.gov or (812) 349-3655.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments