business & economy

Bloomington businesses react to Monroe County rescinding COVID-19 health order

cabackdoor052021.jpg

Some Bloomington businesses are keeping COVID-19 restrictions in place despite Monroe County Health Department rescinding its COVID-19 health order effective Monday.

The Indiana Daily Student reached out to Kilroy’s on Kirkwood, the Back Door, Soma Coffee House and Juice Bar East and Hoosier Heights to see how they plan to enforce social distancing and masks. 

The COVID-19 health order included a mask mandate and physical distancing requirements and was set to expire May 28 but was modified to expire May 17. Despite the COVID-19 health orders ending, some Bloomington businesses will keep their mask mandate and social distancing protocols in place

Kilroy’s on Kirkwood and Kilroy’s Sports changed their COVID-19 regulations when Monroe County Health Department rescinded its COVID-19 health order. According to Kilroy’s COVID-19 statement released Sunday, staff must wear a mask if they aren’t vaccinated. They also ask that unvaccinated customers wear masks inside the venue when not actively eating or drinking. 

Smoove Gardner, a co-owner of the Back Door, an LGBTQ-inclusive nightclub that reopened May 1, decided to continue requiring masks at the nightclub.

“People are still dying,” Gardner said. “It’s too soon. Not enough people are vaccinated, which is why we’re going to keep our requirements in place.”

According to the Back Door’s website, all events are held outdoors, and customers must wear masks at all times when they aren’t at their reserved tables. Gardner said the Back Door will also require vaccinated staff and customers to wear masks. 

Gardner said the Back Door won’t enforce different mask requirements for vaccinated and unvaccinated customers because it could violate privacy laws. The Back Door won’t change their COVID-19 guidelines until a more significant portion of the population is vaccinated, Gardner said. 

“You can still come and party with us, but you probably won’t get COVID while you do it,” Gardner said. 

Soma Coffee House and Juice Bar East also hasn’t changed its COVID-19 protocol since the health order was rescinded. 

Matthew Bunch, supervisor of Soma Coffee House and Juice Bar East, said Soma will continue to enforce social distancing and require masks for all customers and employees.

“We are going to be following CDC guidelines but also our own guidelines and making sure that our employees and customers are safe,” Bunch said. 

Bunch said he’s somewhat concerned about the health order being rescinded because Soma has been busy recently. Customers rarely refuse to wear masks, but when they do, employees direct them to online ordering, Bunch said. Bunch said he’s glad the health order wasn’t rescinded until after graduation, when there are fewer students on campus. 

Hanna Marsh, a front desk staff member at Hoosier Heights, a rock climbing gym, said the gym is unsure how their mask requirements and social distancing guidelines will change now that Monroe County rescinded its health order. 

“There are concerns around how members, guests, and employees will interact with one another,” Marsh said. “We want to maintain a positive community and make sure everyone is healthy, but at the same time, we don’t want to over impose.”

Marsh said for now, Hoosier Heights requires that masks are worn at all times and social distancing is enforced.