bloomington

Trades district parking garage to open April 17 with ribbon-cutting ceremony

catradesdistrict040121.jpg

The City of Bloomington announced Tuesday they will be opening a 350-space parking garage in the Trades District.

The garage is located between the Showers City Hall Building and the B-Line. It will open with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on April 17 at 10 a.m., according to a City of Bloomington press release. Mayor John Hamilton and other local leaders will make remarks and members of the public can tour the facility and participate in “Aurora Almanac,” a piece of art in the garage, according to the press release. Social distancing and masks will be required. 

According to the press release, the garage will have commercial and retail space facing the B-Line. It will also contain electric vehicle charging stations and a solar array.

The garage earned the first Parksmart certification awarded in Indiana, a sustainability credential, along with the Fourth Street garage, which is set to open in August. 

According to Parksmart’s website, it is “the world’s only certification system to advance sustainable mobility through smarter parking structure design and operation.”

Esteban Garcia Bravo, a Lafayette, Indiana-based artist, designed “Aurora Almanac,” which will be installed in the stairwells of the garage later this year. Members of the public can design tiles that will be included in the artwork at the ribbon-cutting ceremony and at later opportunities, according to the press release.

Information about parking plans can be found on the City of Bloomington's website.