IU softball to take on Purdue this weekend looking to end 3-game losing streak

<p>Senior outfielder Gabbi Jenkins throws the ball against Michigan on March 28 at Andy Mohr Field. The Hoosiers will play a four -game series against Purdue this weekend in West Lafayette, Indiana. </p>

Senior outfielder Gabbi Jenkins throws the ball against Michigan on March 28 at Andy Mohr Field. The Hoosiers will play a four -game series against Purdue this weekend in West Lafayette, Indiana.

IU softball continues to stay on the road after winning one out of four games against Iowa last weekend at Bob Pearl Softball Field. This time, the Hoosiers will play in-state rival Purdue Boilermakers at Bittinger Stadium. 

IU’s schedule was updated due to incoming weather. The team will play a doubleheader Friday with the first game starting at 4 p.m. and the second starting at 6:30 p.m., followed by a 10 a.m. game Saturday and the final game will be played at 1 p.m. Sunday. 

The Boilermakers are on a similar stretch as the Hoosiers. Purdue played Minnesota last weekend in Minneapolis, also taking one of four games on the road. Purdue dropped the first game 8-5. Sophomore pitcher Ashley Peters struck out four in her five innings on the mound. Minnesota senior pitcher Amber Fiser let up five runs that game, tying for the second most she has allowed this season.

The Boilermakers split the double-header with the Golden Gophers on Saturday. Purdue lost the second game of the series 5-4 in a pitcher’s duel, but freshman catcher Kiley Goff went 3-for-3 to net in three runs. During the third game freshman pitcher Savanah Henley tossed a one-hitter to win it 2-0.

The final game was a close match. Despite Peters and Henley pitching well against Minnesota, Purdue’s offense could not bail itself out of a 2-1 loss. 

The Hoosiers, now on a three-game losing streak, need to secure some wins this weekend. Similar to the series against Michigan and Iowa, IU can’t cede any offensive plays that could give them the push they need to keep the game on lockdown. 

During the top of the fourth inning in the first game against Iowa, IU sophomore utility player Desiree Dufek hit an inning-ending line drive to freshman shortstop Grace Banes and left senior second baseman Grayson Radcliffe stranded in scoring position. 

The Hoosiers could also set a record this weekend. Senior left fielder Gabbi Jenkins has a career total 87 stolen bases and could break former IU third baseman Aimee Lonigro’s program record of 90 stolen bases from 1994-1997.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments