IU Provost Lauren Robel to speak at IU commencement ceremony

IU graduates shout to their families during the IU graduation ceremony May 4, 2019, at Memorial Stadium. Provost Lauren Robel will speak at the May 8 graduation ceremony.

IU announced three speakers for the Bloomington commencement ceremonies this May, including geophysicist Marcia McNutt, IU Executive Vice President Lauren Robel and IU Board of Trustees Vice Chair Pat Shoulders. The graduate commencement ceremony is May 7 and the undergraduate commencement ceremony is May 8.

Robel will speak at the undergraduate ceremony May 8 before stepping down from her position as Executive Vice President and Provost at the end of June. During the undergraduate ceremony, Shoulders will deliver a special address as part of the induction of graduates into the IU Alumni Association.

The undergraduate ceremony will also feature IU alumnus Robert Borns, who will be awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree for his philanthropy. Borns is a real estate developer and the namesake for the Robert A. and Sandra S. Borns Jewish Studies Program.

McNutt, president of the National Academy of Sciences, will speak at the May 7 graduate ceremony, where she will deliver a speech and receive an honorary Doctor of Science degree. McNutt was the first woman to serve as director of the U.S. Geological Survey, and led the federal response to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

The ceremonies can be attended in person by graduates only, including the IU class of 2020 following the cancellation of their ceremonies last year. Guests can view the ceremonies online via a livestream on IU’s commencement website.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments