sports golf

IU men’s golf finishes second at Hoosier Collegiate Invitational on Sunday

spiumgrecap040421-2.jpg

IU men’s golf finished in second place at the Hoosier Collegiate Invitational on Sunday with a score of 892, 40-over-par, at the Pfau Course in Bloomington.

The competition consisted of two rounds played on Saturday with the third and final round played Sunday. IU’s score improved with each round of the event with 301 in the first round, 296 in the second and 295 in the third. 

None of the competing teams shot under par throughout the tournament. The winning team, Michigan State, finished with a score of 33-over-par. No golfers present shot under par individually either, with Michigan State senior James Piot winning with a score of 2-over-par.

“The Pfau Course really showed its teeth. Obviously Michigan State won our tournament, but I really think the Pfau Course was the ultimate winner,” IU head coach Mike Mayer said after the tournament.

All five members of IU’s lineup finished in the top 25 of the tournament. Freshman Drew Salyers and junior Harry Reynolds tied for seventh, junior Mitch Davis and sophomore Eric Berggren tied for 15th and freshman Clay Merchent finished tied for 21st.

IU’s strongest individual performances came from its players competing as unattached individuals, with graduate student Brock Ochsenreiter finishing tied for seventh and senior Ethan Shepherd finishing tied for fourth. 

Ochsenreiter jumped 10 positions after a strong third round when he shot 1-over-par.

IU will look to keep its team going in the right direction and make sure players are able to help carry the team to a win, Mayer said, noting that the team has players capable of doing so.

“I think we’re close to being on our game, but we’re not quite there yet,” Mayer said. 

IU returns to play April 10-11 at the Boilermaker Invitational played at the Ackerman-Allen Course in West Lafayette, Indiana.

“It’s a good field up in West Lafayette,” Mayer said. “We’re gonna get ready to go up there and see if we can compete for a title.”