sports women's soccer

IU women’s soccer defeats Iowa 2-0 for second consecutive win

spiuws022821-2.jpg

IU women’s soccer defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes 2-0 Sunday afternoon at Bill Armstrong Stadium, improving to 2-1 on the season.

Senior forward Melanie Forbes led the Hoosiers on offense. Forbes followed up her game-winning goal against Rutgers with two first-half goals against Iowa. Forbes has scored all three of the Hoosiers’ goals this season after scoring two the entire 2019 season.

Forbes’ first goal came off a smooth pass from sophomore midfielder Avery Lockwood, putting the shot in off the post. Her second goal came from her tight ball handling in the box, weaving through Iowa defenders and switching feet before putting the ball in the back of the net.

“I think she’s found another gear, and her creativity in and around the box is a different level,” head coach Erwin van Bennekom said. “And she proved that again today with two great goals.”

Beyond a strong offensive performance from Forbes, the Hoosiers’ typically strong defense was just as potent Sunday, winning a second-consecutive shutout and allowing just three shots on goal. The Hawkeyes have yet to score a goal this season.

“I think that’s our foundation of everything we do. Last year we proved that in the league, and we did it again,” van Bennekom said. “Even if we have an off day with the ball, we still defend hard and make sure we don’t give away too much.”

Up next for the Hoosiers will be a trip to University Park, Pennsylvania, to take on the reigning Big Ten Champions, Penn State. The Nittany Lions will be one of the Hoosiers’ toughest tests of the season and an opportunity for a crucial win for IU.

“I think they’re the best team in our league. I think they have got the most talent, they have got a great coaching staff, so it’s a good challenge,” van Bennekom said. “I felt last year we did a good job against them and had a chance to tie it up late a couple times. It will be a great challenge, it will be an extra game for us. We want to play the best — I can’t wait.”