IU women’s golf finishes 18th at Briar’s Creek Invitational

<p>Senior Angela Aung swings her golf club during the Briar Creek Invitational on March 15 in Johns Island, South Carolina. Tuesday is the last day of the invitational. </p>

Senior Angela Aung swings her golf club during the Briar Creek Invitational on March 15 in Johns Island, South Carolina. Tuesday is the last day of the invitational.

IU women's golf finished in 18th place at the Briar’s Creek Invitational played on Monday and Tuesday at The Golf Club at Briar’s Creek in Johns Island, South Carolina.

The event was hosted by the College of Charleston. IU was originally scheduled to compete at the invitational last season before the competition was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

IU ended the first round Monday with a score of 329, 41-over-par. The team was led by sophomore Valerie Clancy, who shot 7-over par with a birdie on the 13th hole.

The second round on Monday was suspended during play due to darkness. The team had finished most of the second round before resuming play at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. The second round yielded a score of 308 for the Hoosiers, 20-over par. Senior Angela Aung led the team this round with an even 72 with three birdies. 

The Hoosiers finished their time in Johns Island in the third round on Tuesday with another score of 308 for 18th place overall. The team was led in the final round by senior Mary Parsons, who shot 1-over-par with two birdies.

IU’s overall score at the event was 945, 81-over-par. None of the teams competing at the event shot under par, with the closest being the College of Charleston at 9-over-par. The team was led individually by Clancy, who tied for 58th.

The team returns to competition at the Clemson Invitational from March 26-28 at The Reserve at Lake Keowee in Sunset, South Carolina.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.