sports track & field

IU track and field wraps up indoor season at NCAA championships

spiutfrecap031521.jpg

The IU indoor track and field season came to a close at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships in Fayetteville, Arkansas, over the weekend.

Neither IU indoor team received an invitation to the event, but five individuals and one relay team qualified. 

Senior Maddy Pollard was the team’s lone woman to qualify for the championships in the shot put. Pollard recorded a distance of 16.99 meters in the shot put final, taking seventh place.

On the men’s side, junior All-American Rikkoi Brathwaite took third place overall in the 60-meter final with a time of 6.56 seconds to lead the team.

Fifth-year senior Ben Veatch continued his success this year, as he took eighth place in the 5,000-meter with a program-record time of 13:37.03. 

The previous 5,000-meter record holder is current IU track and field assistant coach Andrew Poore, who set it in 2011.

Sophomore Nathan Stone and senior Cooper Williams also made the field, with Stone placing ninth overall and Williams finishing at 10th in his semifinal. 

Stone, competing in his first career NCAA championship, cleared a height of 5.40 in the high jump. 

Williams, whose indoor career at IU is now complete, recorded a time of 1:48.09 in the 800-meter. 

Williams, juniors Arjun Jha and Shaton Vaughn and fifth-year senior Teddy Browning took seventh place in the men’s distance medley relay with a time of 9:34.30.

Jha and Veatch also competed in Monday’s NCAA Cross Country Championships in Stillwater, Oklahoma. 

The Hoosiers now turn their attention to the outdoor track and field season, with a schedule soon to be announced.