administration

IU Provost Lauren Robel to step down in June

caprovost032521.jpg

IU Provost Lauren Robel will step down as IU-Bloomington provost and IU executive vice president June 30 following the end of the 2021 spring semester, President Michael McRobbie said in an email Wednesday afternoon. 

An interim provost will be appointed by the end of next week and will serve from July 1 until the new IU president decides who permanently fills the position, McRobbie said in the email. 

IU Bloomington deans, senior campus administrators, Bloomington Faculty Council Executive Committee and IU Student Government will help advise McRobbie on who fills the interim position, he said. 

“I am immensely grateful to her for extraordinary efforts on behalf of the campus and of Indiana University,” McRobbie said in the email. “She has been a superb leader of the Bloomington campus for the past 10 years.”

She will return to academic work in the IU Maurer School of Law, Robel said Wednesday morning in an email to staff and faculty. 

“It is now time for me to return to the academic work that is the greatest joy at the center of our mission,” Robel said in the email. 

She said it was a privilege to work with IU staff over her past nine years as provost. 

Robel was named provost of IU-Bloomington and executive vice president of IU in 2012. 

This story will be updated with more information as it becomes available.