7 former IU football players prepare for Pro Day, NFL Draft

spiufbdraft032921.jpg

With the NFL Draft approaching, seven former IU football players are preparing to show their skills to professional scouts at the team’s Pro Day this Friday at Memorial Stadium.

The players participating in the event are wide receiver Whop Philyor, running back Stevie Scott III, center Harry Crider, defensive back Jamar Johnson, defensive lineman Jovan Swann, defensive lineman Jerome Johnson and punter Haydon Whitehead.

With just two other Football Bowl Subdivision programs holding their Pro Days on the same day as IU, it will be an opportunity for these former Hoosiers to make their impressions on NFL personnel just a few weeks before the Draft.

“I’m mainly trying to go out there and showcase that I am a versatile defensive lineman,” Swann said. “At 290 [lbs], I know that I can do a lot of things for a lot of organizations. I just want to prove myself to all 32 teams.”

In a typical Pro Day, players participate in events such as the 40-yard dash, bench press and cone drill to give NFL scouts an idea of their skillset outside of their play on the field. For some players, it’s an opportunity to silence doubts about what they can do.

“They expected me to run, I think it was 4.6 or whatever, and I mean I’m definitely going to be running way lower than that,” Jamar Johnson said about his 40-yard dash time.

Scott III said that he wants to showcase his speed to scouts during the 40-yard dash, and that he has specifically been working on his breakaway speed in preparation for the NFL.

Having an opportunity to play in the NFL is a dream for many players. Friday’s event is a chance for these players to make their dreams a reality.

"Everyone prays and hopes of getting an invite, but it was a dream come true,” Philyor said about getting invited to the NFL Scouting Combine. “I teared up because I was so happy I got it. All my work paid off and it is a dream come true." 

While the event is among these players’ final attempts to impress NFL scouts, it is also likely their final time suiting up on the field at Memorial Stadium.

“Just a year or so ago, I didn’t know if I’d be in this position,” Crider said. “But here I am now, and I’m happy with how far I’ve came and I’m excited to take the next step.”

After a record-breaking 2020 season for IU, these players said they are happy with the legacy they left at the program.

“We are leaving the school in a winning situation. We not the bottom feeders of the Big Ten no more, we some top dogs,” Philyor said. “That’s what I’m most proud about. We a football school now.”