Find ways to get in the Valentine’s Day spirit with local events

entvalentines020921-illo

Though the pandemic has forced us to mask up in order to keep each other healthy, there’s no reason for us to mask our feelings for our loved ones. Many activities that would’ve been readily available a year ago may look different now, but, fortunately, Bloomington’s vibrant community is offering many safe ways for friends, family, and loved ones to share in the Valentine’s Day spirit. Whether you’re looking for a romantic dining experience, a handcrafted gift, or simply a laugh this weekend, there’s something for everyone in Bloomington.

Find a gift with “Love Drops”

entvalentines020921-illo2
Illustration by Carson TerBush

Cost: Free

Location: 101 W Kirkwood Ave, Ste 109, Bloomington, IN 47404

Time: today - Saturday 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Sunday noon - 4 p.m.

Looking for a great gift for your special someone, but can’t find that perfect something? Try out Bloomington’s By Hand Gallery, a local, co-operative gallery with more than 80 artists whose works involve stone carving, textiles, metalwork, ceramics, fiber art and more. This February, By Hand Gallery is hosting a special Valentine’s exhibit, “Love Drops.” With exclusive work made by 11 members, you can share your love with hand-made cards, jewelry, glass hearts, special boxes and other love-themed gifts. By Hand Gallery is open Monday-Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m., and the exhibit will run until Feb. 28.

Self-Care Saturday with Friends

entvalentines020921-illo1
Illustration by Carson TerBush

Cost: Free

Location: Zoom

Time: Saturday 3-3:30 p.m.

Let art therapist Lauren Daugherty teach you how to express your care for your loved ones, or for yourself, through making affirmation cards from 3-3:30pm on Feb. 13 . These are thoughtful cards meant to encourage positive thinking and confidence, and Daugherty will be a host to a 30 minute Zoom webinar focused on spreading joy through this medium. In order to register for the event and receive the webinar link, navigate to the Eskenazi Museum of Art’s virtual calendar, select “Self-Care Saturday with Friends: Affirmation Trading Card Exchange,” and find the register button at the bottom of the page alongside a supply list to create the perfect card.

The Comedy Attic

entvalentines020921-illo5
Illustration by Carson TerBush

Cost: $40 for two people

Location: Corner Of 4th & Walnut Bloomington IN 47404

Time: tomorrow and Saturday at 7 p.m. or 9:15 p.m.

If you’re looking for a laugh this Valentine’s Day weekend, check out the Comedy Attic, Bloomington’s only full-time comedy club. Emma Willmann will perform Feb. 12 and 13, with shows running at 7 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. both nights. Recognized by Time Out magazine as one of the 10 funniest women in New York City, Willmann has performed on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, the New York Comedy Festival and on Netflix’s The Comedy Lineup. Tickets must be purchased in advance on The Comedy Attic’s website, and all attendees are required to wear masks. 

Wine and Chocolate at Oliver Winery

entvalentines020921-illo3
Illustration by Carson TerBush

Cost: $27+

Location: 200 East Winery Road, Bloomington, IN 47404

Time: tomorrow, Saturday, Feb. 20 and 21

Disclaimer: 21+

Grab your best friend, sibling, parent or significant other and enjoy some of Bloomington’s finest wines and chocolates at Oliver Winery’s Chocolate Lovers Weekend. On Feb. 13, 14, 20 and 21, guests will have the opportunity to embark on a guided pairing of Bloomington Chocolate Company’s truffles and six of Oliver wines. Learn about history and philosophy of Indiana’s oldest and largest winery while enjoying sweet treats for $27 per person. For an extra $15 on this chilly weekend, enjoy warm chocolate fondue on a heated patio paired with three Oliver wines. 

Cardinal Stage presents “Ordinary Days”

entvalentines020921-illo6
Illustration by Carson TerBush

Cost: $20

Location: Virtual

Time: Anytime

Make your Valentine’s weekend anything but ordinary with Cardinal Stage’s production of “Ordinary Days,” a virtual musical that celebrates the big impact of life’s small moments. The show follows the lives of four residents of New York City, one couple navigating the challenges of moving in together and two strangers whose paths cross unexpectedly. The musical can be streamed on-demand between Feb. 11 and Feb. 21 for $20 per household, and the video is available for a one time viewing within 48 hours of rental.

C3 Valentine’s Day Dinner

entvalentines020921-illo4
Illustration by Carson TerBush

Cost: $65

Location: 1505 S Piazza Dr, Bloomington, IN 47401

Time: 

For a night of fine dining and entertainment, check out C3 bar and restaurant’s Valentine's Day dinner. With a musical ambience set by jazz musician Monika Herzig, C3 will offer a special, 4 course prix fixe dinner from 5-9 p.m. on Feb. 14. C3 provides an array of hand-crafted cocktails and upscale cuisine, perfect for a date night or spending time with friends. Reservations must be made in advance and the special dinner costs $65 per person.