Monroe County relaxes restrictions on gatherings, limits to 50 people

<p>Customers eat outside of FARM Bloomington in September 2020 on Kirkwood Avenue. Monroe County announced Tuesday that gatherings can be up to 50 people, but Bloomington gatherings must remain at 15 people. </p>

Customers eat outside of FARM Bloomington in September 2020 on Kirkwood Avenue. Monroe County announced Tuesday that gatherings can be up to 50 people, but Bloomington gatherings must remain at 15 people.

Monroe County’s social gathering limit increased from 25 to 50 people Wednesday. There is still a 15-person gathering limit in effect in Bloomington.  

The Monroe County gathering limit was 50 people, but changed to 25 people when the county entered the orange metric on the Indiana COVID-19 dashboard on Nov. 18. Now that the county is back to phase yellow, it will return to a 50-person limit.

Monroe County Health Administrator Penny Caudill said in a press conference they are easing restrictions because of a recent downward trend in COVID-19 cases in the county.

Caudill said Monroe county residents should remain careful and keep following COVID-19 protocols, so the county can continue seeing a downward trend.

“This is a big weekend,” Caudill said. “We have the Super Bowl, we have increased populations, we have new variants within our state, and all of those things could change the data.”

The Monroe County Board of Health will meet Feb. 16 to discuss gathering restrictions and whether or not the county can continue making progress with the new relaxed restrictions.

Clarification: This story has been updated to reflect the date the order went into effect and attribute where Penny Caudill spoke.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments