sports golf

IU women’s golf finishes 11th at Palmetto Intercollegiate on Monday

spiuwgrecap022221.jpg

IU women’s golf finished in 11th place at the Palmetto Intercollegiate on Monday at Turtle Point Golf Course in Kiawah Island, South Carolina.

The Hoosiers sent seniors Priscilla Schmid, Mary Parsons and Angela Aung, junior Maddie Dittoe and sophomore Hanna Tanaka to the competition. Junior Alexis Miestowski and sophomore Valerie Clancy were sent to compete unattached to IU.

Schmid and Miestowski withdrew from the event prior to the beginning of the first round. The two have been injured and the team was looking to give them the opportunity to play, but weren’t able to compete, Wallman said. 

The Hoosiers were led in the first round Sunday by Aung, who finished in a tie for 16th place. IU completed the round with a team score of 322, good for eleventh place.

The second round of play was suspended due to darkness Sunday night, with only Dittoe completing both of her rounds. She finished the second round shooting a 10-over-par 82.

“It’s challenging when you’re trying to play and it makes, you know, it makes you hurry up and it makes you go a little faster than maybe you want to,” Wallman said. 

Parsons and Aung led the team in the second round, shooting 76 and 77 for 4-over-par and 5-over par, respectively. The Hoosiers’ second round team score was 319, keeping IU in 11th place. 

IU closed out the third round of the competition with a score of 326 to remain in 11th place. Parsons once again led the team, shooting a 3-over-par 75.

The team finished the competition with a score of 967. Parsons led the Hoosiers, finishing in 24th overall, while no competitors shot below par. 

“Well, it certainly is not the result that we wanted, I mean that goes without saying,” head coach Clint Wallman said. 

The team made adjustments between rounds to accommodate for cold temperatures, wind and changes in strategy, Wallman said. 

IU returns to play at the Briar’s Creek Invitational from March 15-16 at The Golf Club at Briar’s Creek in John’s Island, South Carolina. 

“This will give a really good barometer of what we need to do heading into Briar’s Creek,” Wallman said.