sports track & field

IU track and field finishes regular season at home in Big Ten Open

spiutfrecap022121.jpg

IU track and field competed in its final regular season event of the season Saturday at Jack Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington. The Hoosiers were hosts to the Big Ten Open, a dual meet with Purdue. 

IU was led by sophomore Alyssa Robinson, who won the 60-meter with a time of 7.49 seconds. Freshman Morgan Snow finished fourth in the same race, with a time of 7.77 seconds. 

The Hoosiers picked up another victory in the women’s 400-meter, with sophomore Maria Anderson taking first place with a time of 55.90 seconds. In the 800-meter, junior Hannah Stoffel won for the first time this season with a time of 2:07.49. 

In the women’s mile, junior Maddie Dalton ran a personal record and took first, finishing in 4:50.38. Senior Kelly Mindak finished as the runner up, clocking a time of 4:52.06. 

The women also found success in the field, with senior Anna Watson winning the pole vault event by clearing a height of 4.05 meters. 

Senior Princess Brinkley was the sole competitor in the weight throw, recording a distance of 20.81 meters. Freshman Mahogany Jenkins finished second in the triple jump, recording a personal-high 12.19 meters. 

Senior Cooper Williams led the charge for the men, taking first place in the 600-meter with a time of 1:16.80. Freshman Parker Raymond finished in 1:18.93, nabbing second place. 

In the 60-meter hurdles, senior Ben Hibbet recorded a time of 8.13 to take first place. Junior Shaton Vaughn took victory in the 400 meters with a time of 48.47 seconds. 

The Hoosier men continued to find success in the 800 meter, finishing first, second and third. Fifth-year senior Teddy Browning led the way with a time of 1:51.11. Junior Aaron Bennett finished in 1:52.39 to take second place. Junior Dustin Horter rounded out the top three, crossing the finish line in 1:52.83. 

In the field, senior Nathan Stone took first place in the pole vault, clearing a height of 5.37 meters. Senior Brock Mammoser was the runner up with a height of 5.27 meters. 

Sophomore Dom Day was the leading Hoosier in the long jump, finishing in second with a distance of 7.18 meters. Junior JaiQuan Earls earned third place, recording a distance of 7.12 meters.

Senior Nick Lane rounded out the winners with a first place finish in the weight throw with a 20.84 meter throw. 

The Big Ten Open concluded IU indoor track and field’s regular season and will begin the Big Ten Indoor Track & Field Championships Thursday in Geneva, Ohio, at the SPIRE Institute.