administration student life coronavirus

IU plans to have in-person fall classes at all campuses

Breaking News Filler

All IU campuses will have in-person classes during the fall semester, IU President Michael McRobbie said in an email Wednesday.

McRobbie said the university will return to mostly normal operations but will continue to cooperate with public health policies. The decision was made with the advice of IU's medical and public health experts. 

The three-week period, from Nov. 29 to Dec. 19, after Thanksgiving break may revert back to hybrid modes of instruction depending on the status of the pandemic, he said. More details will be provided in the upcoming months for each campus, according to the email.

McRobbie said testing has shown there are low numbers of positive COVID-19 tests on all campuses and the pandemic has proven to be manageable. Fall and winter weekly positivity rates have fallen under 1%, he said in the email, and the university expects to continue routine mitigation testing and other health protocols into the fall semester.

The university is optimistic but is continuing to rely on the IU community to continue following IU’s COVID-19 policies during the spring semester and into the summer, McRobbie said. Following these protocols has been effective for the university, according to the email.

IU encourages students, faculty and staff to receive the vaccine when they become eligible, he said in the email.