Tips to make candles last longer

hlcandles022421-illo

If you want to incorporate a classy decoration into your home or apartment, candles are a wonderful and cost effective way to do so. Candles add a peaceful ambience in the room they are placed in and provide a soothing atmosphere through an aroma of your choice. 

Scented candles, especially those made out of beeswax, are known for their incredible healing properties and their ability to place the mind at ease when using a calming, consistent smell. College can be stressful, so using candles can help provide some sense of a relaxing environment. Despite their immense popularity, candle users are often unable to maintain their candles to their fullest capacity. Here are some tips on how not to waste a candle and maintain them for long periods of time. 

Avoid memory rings 

The first time you burn a candle is the most important. If a candle is not burned long enough for the wax to reach the edges of the container, the candle will develop a memory ring and burn only up until the same point each time. The wax that is remaining on the insides of the container will go to waste, even though it may be worth many hours of burn time. 

To avoid this, keep the candle lit until the pool of wax reaches the edges of the container. This will allow the candle to burn evenly without tunneling, which occurs when only the center of the wax around the wick melts down, wasting precious wax. 

Save unused wax 

Don’t you hate it when there’s no more wick to burn on a candle but there is still wax left at the bottom of the container? Instead of throwing away the excess wax, use this trick. 

First, fill up the rest of the candle container with water to measure how much water is needed. Once the candle container is filled with water, make sure you have a microwave-safe bowl for the water and put it in the microwave for about two minutes. After the two minutes are up, put the hot water back into the container. When the wax is done heating up from the water, the bottom of the container will start to bubble and the wax will slowly rise to the top and you can take it out of the container in one piece. Break the wax into smaller pieces and melt the pieces using a wax or candle warmer. You can put the wax into a smaller candle container to use or combine it with wax from another candle. 

Freeze your candles 

If you would like your candles to last longer, you should freeze them. Yes, you read that correctly. Placing your candle in the fridge or freezer for a few hours allows the wax to harden. This in turn will take more time for the flame to melt the wax. Depending on how thick the wax on your candles are, put them in the fridge for a day or two or put them in the freezer for a few hours. Make sure to test out one candle in your fridge or freezer to make sure that your candles will not crack when frozen.