Monroe County YMCA collaborates with local artist on mural for fundraiser

entmural012721.jpg

The Monroe County YMCA is collaborating with public artist and Bloomington native Adam Long on the creation of a mural at the Southeast YMCA location. The mural is a fundraiser for the Y for All scholarship program.

From Jan. 25 to Feb. 3, community members can bid on spots on the mural,  where a painting of their face or one of a loved one, a vehicle or a pet will be created. Participants can alsoThere is also an option to simply buy a spot for a custom painting. Funds made from the bids will go to the YMCA scholarship program. 

The Y for All scholarship is used to provide community members free swim lessons, memberships and senior rehab programs. The scholarship also helps children from families of low income go to summer camps for free. 

Matt Osgood, development director at the Monroe County YMCA, and Long have been planning the fundraising event for almost a year. The event will commemorate the 40th anniversary of operation for the Southeast Y.

“We’re trying to reach people who were on board earlier or staff from years ago as a way to celebrate,” Osgood said. “What’s exciting about it is it will be a cool historic piece of the building.”

Long has been painting public art professionally for three years. He’s painted for multiple local businesses in Bloomington including The Bluebird, Yogi’s and BuffaLouie’s. He has dedicated his art to benefiting others and fundraisers, he said.

“Doing this project is part of my passion to give back to the community,” Long said. “I’m doing something that’s benefiting others through artwork.”

Adam Sater is a 34-year member of the Monroe County YMCA, volunteer with the developmental committee and longtime friend of Long’s. Sater said he is eager to be involved in the project as a donor. 

Sater, vice president of local business, Commercial Services, purchased a spot for one of their vehicles painted on the mural. Sater spent many hours of his childhood participating in programs at the YMCA and wants to give back when he can, he said.

“Doing things like this, you’re really giving back to the community that you’re proud to be a part of and want to be a part of,” Sater said.

Osgood also said he feels that participating in the auction is a fun and different way of giving to help the community. 

Half of the proceeds will be going directly to the Y for All scholarship, and the other half will go toward funding Long’s other projects. His next project, titled the “Best Thing Ever,” will raise funds to help children afford organ transplants.