IU professor Dawn Johnsen sworn in as counselor for DOJ

<p>IU law professor Dawn Johnsen and her husband Mayor John Hamilton smile May 7, 2019, at an event at the Dimension Mill. Johnsen was sworn in Jan. 20 as a senior counselor for the U.S. Department of Justice.</p>

IU law professor Dawn Johnsen and her husband Mayor John Hamilton smile May 7, 2019, at an event at the Dimension Mill. Johnsen was sworn in Jan. 20 as a senior counselor for the U.S. Department of Justice.

Dawn Johnsen, Walter W. Foskett Professor at the IU Maurer School of Law, was sworn in as a counselor with the Department of Justice Wednesday afternoon.

Johnsen was named as a member of the Agency Review Team for President Joe Biden’s transition team in November. The goal was to ensure a smooth transition of power, according to the Presidential Transfer of Power Act of 1963. She served on the transition teams for both President Bill Clinton and President Barack Obama. 

Johnsen previously worked for the Department of Justice under President Clinton as deputy assistant attorney general. She also was the acting assistant attorney general for the Office of Legal Counsel, which provides legal advice to the attorney general, the president and the general counsels of executive branch agencies.

President Obama nominated her to return to the Office of Legal Counsel as assistant attorney general but the Senate neglected to act on the nomination.

She teaches Constitutional Law I and II, and Seminars in the Separation of Powers and Sexuality, Reproduction and the Constitution, according to the Maurer School of Law website. Johnsen is also the wife of Mayor John Hamilton of Bloomington.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.