Old Oaken Bucket game canceled after increase in COVID-19 cases within IU and Purdue football programs

sppurdue120820.jpg

IU’s game against Purdue has been canceled after a recent increase in positive COVID-19 tests within both the IU and Purdue football programs.

“We’re certainly disappointed that we had to cancel the Old Oaken Bucket game," said IU athletic director Scott Dolson and Purdue athletic director Mike Bobinski in a joint statement. "We both understand the history and tradition of one of the best rivalries in college football, but the safety and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is our primary priority. We will continue to monitor the situation on both campuses and listen to the advice of our medical professionals.”

With the cancelation, this season will be the first year IU and Purdue have not played each other since 1919. The two teams have played in 96 consecutive games since the Old Oaken Bucket trophy was adopted. They also played five consecutive games before the trophy was created.

Purdue leads the overall series, 74-42-6. IU won the Bucket last season 44-41 in double overtime.

Both IU and Purdue canceled practice Tuesday to evaluate the results of COVID-19 tests. After several tests came back positive, the game was canceled.