IUPD investigates vehicle break-ins near the IMU

<p>&nbsp;</p>

IU Police Department is investigating vehicle break-ins in the area of the Indiana Memorial Union between Sixth Street and 10th Street, according to an IU-Bloomington public safety advisory email.

The break-ins started October 26, according to the email. IUPD received the most recent report Monday. There is no known suspect.

The first incident occurred October 26 in an IMU pay lot, IUPD-Bloomington Chief Jill Lees said. Lees said it was an attempted break in. The owner was notified via OnStar, an in-vehicle security system, Lees said.

Another person reported a vehicle break-in in an IMU pay lot Wednesday. Lees said the owner noticed the front driver’s side window was broken and reported it looked like someone had rummaged through the car. 

The third report was in reference to a vehicle break-in in a parking area behind IU’s Hillcrest Apartments, Lees said. Lees said the owner reported one of the doors was left open and suspected someone had gotten into the car.

The fourth break-in occurred on Sixth Street sometime between Friday and Monday, Lees said. The owner reported it seemed someone had rummaged through the car and reported a theft of $50.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments