We've redesigned our website, please let us know what you think.

IU alumnus, professional chef to lead diabetic friendly food demo Friday

Cooked vegetables make a base for flaky fish in the pictured salad.

The IU Bloomington Professional Council is partnering with IU Dining to provide a virtual cooking demonstration at 10 a.m. Friday over Zoom hosted by chef Dave Tallent to celebrate Diabetes Awareness Month.

Tallent is a Bloomington native who attended IU before working as a private caterer for the university. He studied at the Culinary Institute of America in New York and worked for high-end restaurants in Atlanta and New York, including New York’s James Beard House. He then returned to Bloomington with his wife and fellow chef Kristen to open their restaurant, Restaurant Tallent.

While studying in New York, Tallent learned about the slow food movement, which inspired him to incorporate local, organic and seasonal ingredients into his dishes. The slow food movement has three main goals: taste education, defense biodiversity and interaction between food producers.

The food demonstration will be diabetes-friendly to celebrate the month being Diabetes Awareness Month. Prior registration is required. Register to attend at the IU events page.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments