Three greek organizations given cease and desist orders from IU for violations of public health policy

Sigma Phi Epsilon is located at 815 N. Jordan Ave.

Three greek organizations — Sigma Phi Epsilon, Omega Phi Beta and Lambda Sigma Upsilon — were given cease and desist orders effective Wednesday.

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said in an email all three incidents are for violating public health regulations and restrictions. All three organizations are currently being investigated, according to Carney.

Heather Kirk, the Sigma Phi Epsilon chief communications officer at the national headquarters, gave an email statement to the IDS. It reported an event of roughly 20 people at the house, although the statement indicated the fraternity may not have hosted the event. Below is the full statement from Kirk:

"The chapter leadership, alumni volunteers, national fraternity and IU administration are working together to look into a report of an event allegedly held at the chapter facility, at which approximately 20 people gathered. Member safety -- especially in this time -- is paramount. While it does not appear the chapter hosted an event, the leadership is taking this report seriously and will take appropriate individual accountability measures if the report is verified."

Sigma Phi Epsilon is one of seven greek houses still under quarantine orders as of Thursday.

That makes a total of four organizations given cease and desist orders this school year. Alpha Epsilon Pi was given a cease and desist order effective as of Sept. 17.

This story was updated 4:59 p.m. Thursday to include a statement from Sigma Phi Epsilon.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments