business & economy coronavirus

Kilroy's on Kirkwood to open this weekend while COVID-19 cases spike in Indiana

cakilroys102120.jpg

Kilroy's on Kirkwood will open Saturday for the first time since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic for IU football's first game of the season.

The popular bar is using the app LineLeap to sell tickets for tables. Tables must be reserved ahead of time and are available for two- to three-hour time slots.

All tables for all time slots Saturday are already sold out. It is unclear how many total tables were made available. There are no other dates to reserve tables currently listed on the app.

Kilroy's offers a "Super Spot" pass for $20 allowing a patron to enter and join an open seat at an already reserved table.

Otherwise, tables in various spots in the bar — including the front and back patio — can be reserved in groups of eight to 10 people. Those who reserve an eight-person table must arrive with at least six people at their assigned time slot, and those at a 10-person table must arrive with at least eight people.

A 10-person table can be reserved for $100 total and an eight-person table can be reserved for $80 total.

IU plays Penn State at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The bar originally did not open at the beginning of the school year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, as it reopens, new cases are spiking in Indiana. The state has seen its three highest single-day case increases all in the last week.

IU, however, reported a decrease in its mitigation and symptomatic testing positivity rates in Wednesday's COVID-19 dashboard update. The school's mitigation testing positivity rate was the lowest single-week rate of the school year. IU did announce Wednesday its own COVID-19 testing labs are opening for increased testing as soon as next week.