Black Voices

Black Voices: Ariyonna's Voice

bvprofile101320.jpg

Ariyonna Cousins is an IU junior majoring in exercise science with a minor in social work. She uses her voice to spread peace and positivity to those looking to conquer their struggles in life. Her role in the community means a lot to her and she loves lending a helping hand.

“My voice matters because I have to speak for the people who can no longer speak for themselves,” she said. 

Cousins is the vice president for Black Student Union, treasurer for Level Up With Prea and an advocate for women at the George Taliaferro Sports Association.

Her role with BSU allows her to create a safe space for Black students on campus. Cousins has a love for sports and fitness which led to her other two positions. The George Taliaferro Sports Association fights for the inclusion and diversity of students within all sports associations at IU. Level Up With Prea is an organization that allows its members to educate, inspire and change the lives of those looking to reach their full fitness potential. 

Junior Ariyonna Cousins used her voice to speak up for those who can't speak for themselves.

Cousins started her own podcast, Peace and Positivity with Ari. This podcast allows her to share knowledge she’s gained throughout her own journey of pursuing a life without worry and fear. During the podcast, she addresses real life struggles and provides solutions of how to self heal.

Through different mediums such as burning sage and using Tibetan singing bowls, Cousins promotes relaxation and healing methods. Cousins will have guests on her podcast who will also speak on their journey to peace. 

“It’s really important for people to take time for themselves and find things that help them protect their peace,” she said.

Cosuins said she believes it is important for underclassmen to not be afraid to take risks, and always remember to have fun.