sports   |   football

President Trump said he brought back Big Ten football in the first debate. He didn’t.

sptrump092920_1

President Donald Trump stands on stage during a presidential debate Oct. 9, 2016, at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. An anonymous Big Ten President said President Trump had no say in the decision to play football this fall, despite Trump's claiming he did multiple times, including during Tuesday night's debate. Tribune News Service

During Tuesday’s presidential debate, President Donald Trump said he brought back Big Ten football.

The president tweeted Sept. 1 that he had a phone call with Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren regarding how Big Ten football could return to play this fall.

Trump had nothing to do with the decision, according to an anonymous Big Ten university president in an NBC article published after the decision to restart football. It said the conference wanted to keep the decision from being political.

The Big Ten decided to postpone fall sports Aug. 11 before voting to restart the football season Sept. 16.

A key component to the conference's restart plan is daily rapid testing that will begin Wednesday . to help ensure the safety of both the student-athletes and coaching staff.

More in Sports