arts iu cinema

"Papicha," "Stuffed" among movies in IU Cinema's fall 2020 season

IU Cinema

IU Cinema has moved its operations online for the fall semester which will provide students with the opportunity to view feature films and intriguing documentaries from the safety of their computer screens. 

Here’s an overview of some of the titles coming to IU Cinema this semester and how you can view them.

Represent” (2020) – Sept. 3 to Sept. 30

“Represent,” directed by Hillary Bachelder, examines the political landscape of the U.S., particularly within the experiences of three women as they run for office. 

The film follows Myya Jones, a 22-year-old college graduate running for mayor of Detroit, Michigan, Julie Cho, a conservative, 47-year-old Korean immigrant looking to be a state representative in a liberal suburb of Chicago, and Bryn Bird, a 33-year-old mother and farmer attempting to win a trustee seat on a board dominated by white men. “Represent” navigates the nuances of local politics and explores systemic failings and unsung heroes at the heart of local elections according to Backbone Films, the production company responsible for the film. 

Virtual tickets can be purchased for $10 and remain active for 72 hours.

Stuffed” (2019) – Oct. 5 to Oct. 7

International award winning filmmaker Erin Derham explores the surprising world of taxidermy in “Stuffed”. Derham introduces the audience to an array of taxidermists, including an anatomical sculptor in South Africa, a big-game taxidermist in Ohio, an all-women studio in Los Angeles and fine artists in the Netherlands. 

The film gives the audience a glance into how the world of taxidermy works, and it also highlights the importance of protecting our environment. “Stuffed” reveals the importance of preserving nature using taxidermy, according to History Boutique Films. 

The film can be viewed for free after registering for A Conversation with Allis Markham, a virtual conversation and Q&A with Allis Markham, an award-winning taxidermist from the all-women studio in Los Angeles.

I Used to Go Here” (2020) – Oct. 7 to Oct. 14

A comedy-drama film, “I Used to Go Here” follows Kate, a writer in her 30s whose recent novel release isn’t going as well as she had expected. Just as Kate’s friends are all experiencing their own success stories, she is invited to speak at her alma mater, Southern Illinois University, by a former professor. Upon returning to the university, Kate must deal with her desire to continue writing and the conflicting self-doubt she feels. 

The coming-of-age style film examines the desire for a sense of belonging and success while retaining a comedic, engaging atmosphere. 

“I Used to Go Here” is free for purchase upon registering for the Jorgensen Program with Kris Rey, a virtual conversation and Q&A with writer and director Kris Rey.

Other films available through the end of September are “Papicha” and “Made in Bangladesh." “Papicha” tells the story of an optimistic, 18-year-old student passionate about fashion design in Algeria during the Algerian Civil War, and “Made in Bangladesh” follows Shimu, a 23-year-old textile worker who starts a union following a tragic accident at the clothing factory. Tickets for both films can be purchased for $10.

A full list of film screenings can be found on IU Cinema’s Upcoming Films and Events page.